University of Glasgow
place and University
The University of Glasgow (abbreviated as Glas. in post-nominals; Scottish Gaelic: Oilthigh Ghlaschu) is a public research university in Glasgow, Scotland. Founded by papal bull in 1451, it is the fourth-oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland's four ancient universities. Along with the universities of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and St Andrews, the university was part of the Scottish Enlightenment during the 18th century. In common with universities of the pre-modern era, Glasgow originally educated students primarily from wealthy backgrounds; however, it became a pioneer in British higher education in the 19th century by also providing for the needs of students from the growing urban and commercial middle class. Glasgow University served all of these students by preparing them for professions: law, medicine, civil service, teaching, and the church. It also trained smaller but growing numbers for careers in science and engineering. The annual income of the institution for 2019–20 was £685.3 million of which £168.8 million was from research grants and contracts, with an expenditure of £588.2 million. It is a member of Universitas 21, the Russell Group and the Guild of European Research-Intensive Universities. The university was originally located in the city's High Street; since 1870, its main campus has been at Gilmorehill in the City's West End. Additionally, a number of university buildings are located elsewhere, such as the Veterinary School in Bearsden, and the Crichton Campus in Dumfries. The alumni of the University of Glasgow include some of the major figures of modern history, including James Wilson, a signatory of the United States Declaration of Independence, 3 Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom, 2 Scottish First Ministers (Nicola Sturgeon and Donald Dewar), economist Adam Smith, philosopher Francis Hutcheson, engineer James Watt, physicist Lord Kelvin, surgeon Joseph Lister along with 7 Nobel laureates and numerous Olympic gold medallists, including the current chancellor, Dame Katherine Granger.DbPedia
Commemorated on 2 plaques
On this site stood the University of Glasgow from 1460 till 1870. The main gateway now re-erected at Gilmorehill was opposite College St.
Blackfriars Road, off the High Street, G1 1QG, Glasgow, United Kingdom where it sited (1460-1870)
University of Glasgow founded 1451 [second plaque below reads as follows] This stone plaque, above, marked the site in the High Street, Glasgow, of the old College gateway. The plaque was gifted to the University by the General Council of Glasgow University and erected on 10th October 1955, to commemorate the fifth centenary of the University in 1951. The plaque was salvaged by the University, prior to demolition of the High Street buildings in which it had been incorporated and re-erected here in 1991.
University Tower, University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill, G12 8QQ, Glasgow, United Kingdom where it sited