University of Glasgow founded 1451 [second plaque below reads as follows] This stone plaque, above, marked the site in the High Street, Glasgow, of the old College gateway. The plaque was gifted to the University by the General Council of Glasgow University and erected on 10th October 1955, to commemorate the fifth centenary of the University in 1951. The plaque was salvaged by the University, prior to demolition of the High Street buildings in which it had been incorporated and re-erected here in 1991.
This plaque, originally sited at the High Street in the city centre, was moved to here and re-erected on the University Tower in 1991. A small photograph of the plaque's original inauguration event on the High Street premises is available on this webpage:http://www.glasgowsculpture.com/pg_biography.php?sub=mortimer_w-g