Chelsea Physic Garden
place and physic garden
The Chelsea Physic Garden was established as the Apothecaries’ Garden in London, England, in 1673. (The word "Physic" here refers to the science of healing.) This physic garden is the second oldest botanical garden in Britain, after the University of Oxford Botanic Garden, which was founded in 1621. Its rock garden is the oldest English garden devoted to alpine plants. The largest fruiting olive tree in Britain is there, protected by the garden’s heat-trapping high brick walls, along with what is doubtless the world’s northernmost grapefruit growing outdoors. Jealously guarded during the tenure of the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries, in 1983 the Garden became a registered charity and was opened to the general public for the first time. The garden is a member of the London Museums of Health & Medicine.DbPedia
Commemorated on 1 plaque
The Chelsea Physic Garden was established by the worshipful society of apothecaries of London in 1673 and is the oldest botanic garden, after Oxford, in England. A statue of Sir Hans Sloane, an early benefactor, sculpted by Michael Rysbrach, stands in the centre. In 1899 responsibility for the garden passed to the trustees of the London Parochial Charities.
Swan Walk, Chelsea, London, United Kingdom where it sited