Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim
(1708-1779)

woman and Prince Bishop

Died aged c. 71

Adam Friedrich Graf von Seinsheim (1708–1779) was the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg from 1755 to 1779 and Prince-Bishop of Bamberg from 1757 to 1779. Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim was born in Regensburg on 16 February 1708, the son of Maximilian Franz Graf von Seinsheim (1681-1739) and his wife Anna Philippina Gräfin von Schönborn (1685-1721). His mother was the sister of Franz Georg von Schönborn, Archbishop-Elector of Trier; Friedrich Karl von Schönborn, Prince-Bishop of Bamberg and Würzburg; and Damian Hugo Philipp von Schönborn, Prince-Bishop of Speyer. He became a canon of Bamberg Cathedral and Würzburg Cathedral in 1718. He studied Christian theology at the University of Salzburg (master's degree 1724) and at the Collegium Germanicum 1725-27; and law at the University of Würzburg and Leiden University. In 1747, he became provost of the Church of St. Gangolf in Bamberg. He was ordained as a priest on 29 September 1753. The cathedral chapter of Würzburg Cathedral unanimously elected him Prince-Bishop of Würzburg on 7 January 1755, with Pope Benedict XIV confirming his appointment on 17 March 1755. He was consecrated as a bishop by Cardinal Franz Christoph von Hutten zu Stolzenfels, Prince-Bishop of Speyer, on 15 June 1755. At the insistence of Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor, he was elected Prince-Bishop of Bamberg on 21 April 1757, thus creating a personal union between the Prince-Bishopric of Würzburg and the Prince-Bishopric of Bamberg. The pope confirmed this appointment on 23 May 1757. Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim supported the imperial side during the Seven Years' War. Troops from the Kingdom of Prussia invaded both bishoprics during the course of this war. He died of pneumonia in Würzburg on 18 February 1779 and is buried there.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Die erste Sternwarte der Universität Würzburg Im Jahre 1757 stiftete Fürstbischof Adam Friedrich von Seins- heim die erste Sternwarte der Universität Würzburg auf dem Turm der Neubaukirche. Mit der Ausstattung des Observato- riums wurde der Professor der Mathematik und Astronomie, Franz Huberti, beauftragt. Bereits am 6. Juni 1761 konnte er mit einem Spiegelteleskop den Venusvorübergang vor der Sonne beobachten. Damit leistete er seinen Beitrag im Rahmen der Internationalen Organisation, die auf Veranlassung des Royal Astronomer Edmund Halley zur Beobachtung dieses seltenen Ereignisses gebildet worden war. Im Zusammenhang mit der Säkularisation zu Beginn des 19. Jahrhunderts ging die Einrichtung des Observatoriums größtenteils verloren. Eine neue Ära begann, als 1907 dem Professor der Mathematik, Georg Rost, die Funktion eines Observators am neu errichteten Astronomischen Institut übertragen wurde. Unter seiner Leitung wurde die Sternwarte modernisiert. Damit wurden die Grundlagen für die wissenschaftliche Beobachtung der Bewegung von Himmelskörpern geschaffen, insbesondere zur Bestimmung der Bahnen kleiner Planeten und Kometen. Sein Nachfolger, der Professor der Mathematik und Astronomie, Otto Volk, setzte die Bahnbestimmungen im engen Zusammen- hang mit Forschungsarbeiten zur Himmelsmechanik bis zur Zerstörung der Sternwarte am 16. März 1945 fort.

Neubaukirche, Würzburg, Germany where they donated