Leeds Grammar School
(1552-present)

place and school

Aged 467

Leeds Grammar School was an independent school in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. In August 2005 it merged with Leeds Girls' High School to form The Grammar School at Leeds. The two schools physically united in September 2008. The school was founded in 1552 by William Sheafield to provide free, subsidised or fee-paying education to the children of the City of Leeds. Despite 1552 being the traditional date for the foundation of the school, there is some evidence to suggest that the school existed as early as 1341. In 1805, the school was the subject of a ruling by Lord Eldon that set a precedent affecting grammar schools throughout England.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

sgwarnog2010 on Flickr

Leeds Grammar School Was founded in 1552 by William Sheafield, chantry priest, Leeds Parish Church. It occupied this building from 1859 to 1997. Famous pupils include: John Smeaton, engineer; G. Studdert Kennedy, 'Woodbine Willie' chaplain; John Ireland, composer; Field Marshal Lord Nicholson of Roundhay. Architect: Edward Barry

Moorland Road, Leeds, United Kingdom where it occupied