Nagambie Mechanics' Institute
place and Mechanics' Institute
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0020
Nagambie Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site in 1873. Extended in 1930. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 20 in the MIV series, was erected in 2007 on this historic building held in trust for the community.
286 High Street, Nagambie, Victoria, Australia where it sited