John Ireland
(1827-1896)

man

Died aged 69

John Ireland (January 1, 1827 – March 15, 1896) was the 18th Governor of Texas from 1883 to 1887. During Ireland's term, the University of Texas was established, and construction on the Texas State Capitol began. Ireland is credited with the selection of local pink granite as the construction material.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 4 plaques

Texas Historical Marker #962

Colonel John Ireland. Star and Wreath Delegate to Secession Convention 1861. Joined army as private. Won laurels in that most brilliant wartime effort - the defense of the 800-mile Texas Coast. In September, 1862, repulse of Federals at Corpus Christi, Ireland captured Fleet Captain Kittredge, his flag and arms. Though Ireland was an infantry officer he once plunged waist-deep to capture a Federal vessel off Padre Island. At war's end he was in command of the 8th Texas Regiment defending Galveston. BACK: Kentucky-born. Came to Texas 1853. Mayor of Seguin 1858. Member Consititutional Conventions 1866, 1875. District Judge 1866-67, removed by Reconstruction authorities. Legislator 1872-75. Called "Ox-cart John" for opposing land grants, subsidies to railroads. Supervised plans to oust Governor E. J. Davis in bloodless conflict marking political end of Texas' Reconstruction. Judge State Supreme Court 1875-76. Governor of Texas 1882-86. Fence-cutting wars, brought on when certain landowners began fencing the open range prompted him to call special Legislature which made fence-cutting a felony. He ruled that State Capitol be of Texas stone. Urged strict enforcement of criminal laws, economy in government, reducing public land sales. Term was marked by opening of University of Texas and first labor disturbances Texas had known. Buried State Cemetery, Austin. #962

?, Seguin, TX, United States where they was

Texas Historical Marker #2651

Ireland School, Site of the. School classes were first conducted in a church tabernacle when Ireland was founded in 1911. The town was platted on the Coryell-Hamilton County line and named for Texas Governor John Ireland (1827-1896). A wooden frame school was erected in 1914, and in 1921 five acres were purchased at this site for a new two-story brick school building. Peak enrollment occurred in 1940 when thirty students graduated. All grades were taught here until 1943 when high school classes moved to the Jonesboro and Evant Schools. This school closed in 1964, and the building was demolished in 1984. #2651

?, Ireland, TX, United States where they is commemorated

Texas Historical Marker #15143

Ireland, John. #15143

?, Austin, TX, United States where they was

Texas Historical Marker #17408

Site of Temporary Texas State Capitol of 1800's. Site of temporary Texas State Capitol of 1880's built, 1882-1883, to replace the previous Capitol, which had burned in 1881. until the building was completed, the orphaned Texas government conducted business in the county courthouse and jail across congress avenue. the three-story brick building-third Texas Capitol in Austin- was used five years. during this time it witnessed the passage of strong legislation to aid education and to halt fence-cutting, which, in 1883, had exploded into a range war. Governors John Ireland (1883-1887) and Sul Ross (1887-1891) both served in this building. in 1883, the university of texas held classes here for its 218 students until campus facilities were complete. on another occasion, cattle baron Charles Goodnight loaded $100,000 in cash in a wheel barrow and had it hauled to the Capitol to force settlement of a land dispute, but officials refused his offer. after the present Capitol was finished, 1888, this structure was used as home of Austin High School, studios for music teachers, and for various offices. when it burned, sept.30, 1899, curious spectators sat on the fence around the new capitol to watch volunteer firemen, hampered by low water pressure, fight the blaze. The old building was razed soon after and the bricks were used in structures throughout Austin.

?, Austin, TX, United States where they was