Arthurs Creek Mechanics' Institute and Free Library
(1887-present)

Aged 131

OpenPlaques

Commemorated on 2 plaques

Photo of Arthurs Creek Mechanics' Institute and Free Library brass plaque
bron lowden on Flickr
Photo of Arthurs Creek Mechanics' Institute and Free Library blue plaque
bron lowden on Flickr

1887-1987. Arthurs Creek Hall. 100 Years of Community Involvement. 20.9.1987

Arthurs Creek Road, Arthurs Creek, Victoria, Australia where it sited

MIV Historical Plaques Program #0010

Arthurs Creek Mechanics' Institute and Free Library. Established 1887. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 10 in the MIV series acknowledges the vision of the settlers who established Arthurs Creek Mechanics’ Institute and Free Library on 2 September 1887. We celebrate the contribution of successive generations to ensuring the Hall continues as a community focus. The plaque also commemorates Mr Ken Murphy’s valued contribution in documenting the Hall’s history.

Arthurs Creek Road, Arthurs Creek, Victoria, Australia where it sited