Melbourne Athenaeum
(1839-present)

Aged 179

The Athenaeum or Melbourne Athenaeum is one of the oldest public institutions in Victoria, Australia, founded in 1839. Its building in the Melbourne City Centre consists of a main theatre hosting a range of theatre, comedy and music performances, a small studio theatre, and a subscription library. The building was added to the National Trust's Register of Historic Buildings in 1981 and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The theatre is part of Melbourne's East End Theatre District.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 2 plaques

Photo of Melbourne Athenaeum blue plaque
bron lowden on Flickr
Photo of Melbourne Athenaeum blue plaque
bron lowden on Flickr
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0013

The Melbourne Athenaeum. Established as the Melbourne Mechanics' Institute 12 November 1839. The Melbourne Mechanics' Institute was founded in 1839 with Mr Charles Joseph LaTrobe, Superintendent of the District of Port Phillip and Lieutenant-Governor of the Colony of Victoria, as Patron. Captain William Lonsdale as President, and the Rev. James Forbes as Secretary. The present site was purchased on 13 August 1840. The Institute became the Melbourne Mechanics' Institute and School of Arts in 1846 and the Melbourne Athenaeum on 10 February 1873. As part of the 165th birthday celebrations, this plaque, No. 13 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 24 October 2005 by John Landy, A.C., MBE Governor of Victoria

188 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia where it sited

The Athenaeum Building is registered by Heritage Council Victoria. The original Mechanics Institute was built on this site in 1842. The present building was completed in 1886 to a design by architects Smith and Johnson. The statue of Athena on the parapet is a distinctive featured. (Victorian Heritage Register Number H0501)

188 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia where it sited