Newham Mechanics’ Institute
place and Mechanics' Institute
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0019
Newham Mechanics’ Institute. Established 1903. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 19 in the MIV series, celebrates the Newham community 2007.
1292 Rochford Road, Newham, Victoria, Australia where it sited