Mia Mia Mechanics' Institute
place and Mechanics' Institute
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0021
Mia Mia Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site in 1907. Extended and renovated in 1983. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 21 in the MIV series, was erected on this historic building in 2007 to mark the centenary celebrations of this hall.
Mia Mia Hall, Valley Road, Mia Mia, Victoria, Australia where it sited