Kallista Mechanics’ Institute
place and Mechanics' Institute
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0037
Kallista Mechanics’ Institute. Opened 20th December 1913. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 37 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 21st December 2013 to commemorate the centenary of the building of the South Sassafras Mechanics’ Institute and Free Library (name changed to Kallista in 1925). It is dedicated to the pioneers who built this hall and to record its educational, social and cultural importance to the community.
6 Tom Roberts Road, Kallista, Victoria, Australia where it sited