Berwick Mechanics' Institute & Free Library
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0006
Berwick Mechanics' Institute & Free Library. Established on this site in 1878. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 6 in the MIV series, was unveiled on the 17th March 2004 at the Annual General Meeting to commemorate 126 years on this site.
15 High Street, Berwick, Victoria, Australia where it sited