Manchester Grammar School
place and grammar school
The Manchester Grammar School (MGS) is the largest independent day school for boys in the United Kingdom (ages 7–18) and is located in Manchester, England. Founded in the 16th century as a free grammar school, it was formerly adjacent to Manchester Parish Church (later Manchester Cathedral) until 1931 when it moved to its present 28-acre site at Fallowfield. In accordance with its founder's wishes, MGS has remained a predominantly academic school and belongs to the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference. In the post-war period, MGS was a direct-grant grammar school. It chose to become an independent school in 1976 after the Labour government abolished the Direct Grant System. Fees for 2012–2013 were £10,545 per annum.DbPedia
Commemorated on 1 plaque
The Manchester Grammar School. This plaque marks the original site of The Manchester Grammar School on which for more than four centuries successive generations of boys were educated. The school was founded in 1515 by Hugh Oldham, Bishop of Exeter, whose Arms appear above, and remained here without interruption until 1931, when the school was transferred to its present site at Rusholme.
Long Millgate, Manchester, United Kingdom where it sited (1515-1931)