United States / Henrietta, TX

all or unphotographed
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Clay County. Disorganized in 1862 because of Indian raids; reorganized August 4, 1873. Henrietta, headquarters for buffalo hunters until 1878; the first Hereford cattle in Texas were brought to Clay County 1875 from Beecher, Illinois by William S. Ikard. Original county seat Cambridge moved to Henrietta 1874. #910

?, Henrietta, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Clay County Courthouse. ---- #911

?, Henrietta, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
St. Elmo Hotel. ---- #5030

106 E. Omega St., Henrietta, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
1890 Clay County Jail. Constructed in 1890 by the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri, this is Clay County's third jail building. Construction of the jail included adjacent living quarters for law officers and their families. Stuccoed in 1929, the two story brick structure, with stone foundation and sills, boasts details of corbelled brick, rusticated stone, and pressed metal. Official use of the building was discontinued in 1973. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 #25

116 Graham St., Henrietta, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Cambridge. (Early County Seat) Founded 1860, but abandoned to marauding Indians, 1863. Settlers returned in 1870 and installed a grist mill. Developers surveyed townsite in 1874; school, church, shops, and hotel were built. Post office was established and Fort Sill-Fort Richardson military telegraph line came through in 1876. First newspaper in county was founded there. Rapid growth halted when town was bypassed by Fort Worth and Denver Railroad in 1882. By then place was known as Henrietta -- the name retained when county seat was moved here. Cambridge Cemetery still exists (a mile north of historic townsite). (1971) Incise in base: Erected by Clay County Historic Survey Committee, 1971. #1343

?, Henrietta, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Old City Calaboose. ---- #3707

?, Henrietta, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Sanzenbacher Ranch Headquarters. #15768

2520 Sanzebacher Road, Henrietta, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Cambridge Cemetery. Cambridge Cemetery, established circa 1852 #16166

?, Henrietta, TX, United States