United States / New Orleans, LA

all or unphotographed
Tara. Erected in 1941 for businessman George J. Palmer (1897-1977) and his wife Juliette Wehrmann Palmer (1907-1980), who modeled their family home after the fictitious O'Hara residence in the 1939 film "Gone with the Wind". Andrew M. Lockett, Jr. was the architect. Cornelius Hurst developed this area as Hurstville in 1832. It was the first of the uptown faubourgs. In 1894 the William J. O'Donnell residence was built on this site after designs by Southron R. Duval. Jackson Brewing Company president Lawrence Fabacher later acquired the property and added a casino, greenhouses & a stable. These structures were demolished in 1940. This plaque was placed in 2015 by the Palmer children: George Jr., Jared, Richard, Robert, Vernon, Juliette and Walter, and the owner, Marilyn Springer Martin.

5705 St.Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Edgar Degas House. This house was bequeathed to the artist and his sister by their maternal uncle Michael Musson. The property was at one time held by Wm. Kenner. Kenner was in New Orleans to assist Wm.C.C. Claiborne in the transfer of New Orleans and Louisiana purchase from French to American Rule. Degas sold the house in 1866. Designated a National Landmark by the Department of the Interior in 1978.

307 Exchange Place, LA 70130, New Orleans, LA, United States

Subjects
Avart-Peretti House erected 1842 as a two-story house for Mme. Augustine Eugenie of Lassize widow of Louis Robert Avart J.N.B. de Pouilly and Ernest Gouuchaux architect-builders. From 1906 through 1923 it was the residence and studio of the artist Achille Peretti. During 1946 and 1947 Tennessee Williams lived here and wrote 'A Streetcar Named Desire'

623 St. Peter Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA, United States

Subjects
Saint Stephen Church. The Vincentian Fathers have administered this parish since its founding in 1849 by Fr. Angelo Gandolfo, C.M. Mass was celebrated in private homes of Faubourg Bouligny until a chapel was dedicated on January 1, 1850. The parish soon outgrew this chapel and a larger church was built on the present site in the following year. The present St. Stephen's, designed in Gothic style, was begun in 1868., during Reconstruction days. Civil unrest and economic crises combined to delay completion. The first mass was celebrated on St. Stephen's feast, Dec. 26, 1887. The church was dedicated on Jan. 1, 1888. The 200-foot steeple was added later and blessed on Dec. 31, 1906.

1025 Napoleon Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Gallier House Erected 1857 for his own residency by James Gallier, Jr. 1827-1868 Architect of the French Opera House and other notable buildings. Here he died on May 16, 1868. Owned by his descendants until 1917. This property was part of the grounds of the Ursuline Convent from 1727 until 1825.

1132 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

17th Street Canal Floodwall. On August 29th, 2005, a federal floodwall atop a levee on the 17th Street Canal, the largest and most important drainage canal for the city, gave way here causing flooding that killed hundreds. This breach was one of 50 ruptures in the Federal Flood Protection System that occurred that day. In 2008, the US District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana placed responsibility for this floodwall's collapse squarely on the US Army Corps of Engineers; however, the agency is protected from financial liability in the Flood Control Act of 1928.

London Avenue Canal, New Orleans, LA, United States

Louisiana State Bank Building has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. 1983. National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.

403 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

St. Patrick's Church has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. 1975. National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.

724 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Saint Patrick's Church. Established 1833 by Bishop Leo de Neckère, C.M. This church, completed in 1840 during the pastorate of Father James I. Mullon, is the oldest parish church outside the French Quarter. In 1850 St. Patrick's served as Pro-Cathedral while the St. Louis Cathedral was undergoing reconstruction. Here Bishop Antoine Blanc received the Pallium as first Archbishop of New Orleans on February 16, 1851. St. Patrick's is regarded as the mother church of uptown New Orleans. Archdiocesan Bicentennial Commission.

724 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

5318 St. Charles Avenue. The site of Gilbert Academy and New Orleans University, Black Educational Institutions. Under the auspices of the Methodist Church, 1873 to 1949. Erected by Gilbert Academy Alumni Association, 1993.

5318 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Goldsmith-Godchaux House Designed by noted nineteenth century architect Henry Howard in 1859. Significant for its painted interiors. Has more fresco wall decoration and stenciling that probably any other mid-nineteenth century residence in the South. Erected by the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism 1980

1122 Jackson Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Town of Carrollton. Laid out by Charles Zimpel in 1833 on site of Macarty Plantation, formerly uppermost part of Bienville's 1719 land grant. Jefferson Parish seat 1852-1874. Annexed 1874 by New Orleans. 1854 courthouse designed by Henry Howard.

Carrollton Avenue near St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Boré Plantation - Audubon Park. This site 1781-1820 plantation of Jean Etienne Boré (1741-1820). First Mayor of N.O. 1803-1803. Here Boré first granulated sugar in 1795. Purchased for park in 1871. Site of the World's Industrial & Cotton Centennial Exposition 1884-1885.

Audubon Zoo, New Orleans, LA, United States

Benjamin House. This house in the suburb of Hurstville was purchased in 1853 by Judah P. and Joseph Benjamin and occupied by their widowed sister Rebecca Benjamin Levy until confiscated on August 20, 1889, by the U.S. Treasury Department as property of an enemy of the United States. Judah P. Benjamin, U.S. Senator from Louisiana and later Secretary of War and State for the Confederacy, was a frequent visitor here. The house originally faced St. Charles Avenue and was moved to this site in 1892.

1630 Arabella Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

London Avenue Canal Floodwall Breach. On August 29, 2005, tidal surge from Hurricane Katrina exposed design flaws in the London Avenue Canal floodwall, part of the Federal Flood Protection System. The floodwater killed many Gentilly residents and their beloved pets. The breach was one of 50 in the System that occurred that day. In 2008, the US District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, placed responsibility for this floodwall's collapse squarely on the US Army Corps of Engineers; however, the agency is protected from financial liability in the Flood Control Act of 1928

London Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Brevard-Rice House. Built in 1857 for Albert Hamilton Brevard. James H. Calrow, Architect. Charles Pride, Builder. Owened by Brevard heirs until 1869. Purchased then by Emory Clapp, who added the library wing on the left. It remained in the Clapp family until 1935. It was then owned and occupied by the families of Dr. Frank Brostrom from 1935 to 1947, Judge John Minor Wisdom from 1947 to 1972, and John A. Mmahat from 1972 to 1988. Purchased in 1989 by the novelist Anne Rice and her husband, the poet and painter, Stan Rice. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission, 1991.

1239 First Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Colonel Short's Villa. Built in 1859 for Colonel Robert H. Short of Kentucky, commission merchant. Henry Howard, Architect. Robert Huyghe, Builder. In 1832 this property, which was part of the Livaudais Plantation was subdivided into city squares. September 1, 1863 the house was seized by the Federal forces occupying the city as property of an absent Rebel. In March 1864 the house briefly served as the executive mansion of the newly elected Federal governor of Louisiana, Michael Hahn. It then became the residence of Major General Nathaniel P. Banks, U.S. Commander, Department of the Gulf. On August 15, 1865, the house was returned to Colonel Short by the U.S. Government and he lived in it until his death in 1890. An addition was made in 1906 and the house was restored in 1950. The unusual cast iron Morning-Glory and cornstalk fence was furnished by the Philadelphia Foundry of Wood and Miltenberger.

1448 Fourth Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Bank of Louisiana. Erected 1826. Built by Bickle, Hamlet & Fox; the iron fence and gates were made by Sterling & Co. of New York. In 1840 the building was damaged by fire and repairs were made. Another fire occurred in 1861, after which the structure was again restored and the Royal Street entrance added from the plans of James Gallier, Jr., architect. The bank was liquidated in 1867 and for a short time the building was used as the Conveyance Office. In 1868-1869 it served as the State Capitol of Louisiana. In 1870 it was occupied by the Royal Street Auctioneers Exchange. Between 1871 and 1873 the building was used as a concert hall, beer saloon. When the city refused permission to continue the saloon operation, the building was remodelled for the use of the Superior Criminal Court. The court was abolished in 1877 and from 1879 until 1908 the building served as the office of the Recorder of Mortgages and Conveyances. In 1912 it served briefly as the Juvenile Court. In 1921 it was occupied by the American Legion and from 1926 to 1971 it served as the social hall for Crescent City Post 125. During the 1920's part of the building was also occupied by the United States Shipping Board Sea Service Bureau. A third fire damaged the building in 1931. In 1971 the exterior of the building was restored and the interior remodelled for the use of the Greater New Orleans Tourist and Convention Commission. Plaque dedicated 1976 on the sesquicentennial anniversary of the erection of the building. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. 1976

334 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

The Washington Artillery. (141st Field Artillery) Organized May 1838 -- Service with General Zachary Taylor's Army Texas Aug. -- Nov. 1845 service with General Taylor in Texas - Mexico 1846 -- Service Confederacy Army May 1861 to May 1865 -- Spanish-American War -- Mexican border June 1916 to Feb. 1917. WWI April 1917 to May 1919 -- WWII Jan.1941 to Dec. 1945. Emergency and disaster relief service many times. Civil War: First Manassas, Peninsula, Second Manassas, Shiloh, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Petersburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Murfreesborough, Appomattox. World War II: Algeria - French Morocco, Anzio, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe, Naples-Foggia, Normandy, North Appennines, Northern France, Po Valley, Rhineland, Rome-Arno, Sicily, Southern France, Tunisia. "Try Us"

Decatur Street, opposite Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA, United States

1976. American Revolution Bicentennial 1776 - 1976. The Washington Artillery Park. On and near this site since 1718 has centered the military activities of both regular and citizen soldiers of France, Spain, the Confederacy and the United States. On either side were the redoubts forming the "Great Battery" which criss-crossed its fires with those of Fort San Carlos (Ft. St. Charles) at the foot of Esplanade Ave. and of Fort San Luis (Ft. St. Louis) at the river end of Canal Street. One block downriver is the lot used as an artillery park for Spanish, French and American cannons. From here and from Place d'Armes across the street, the Cannoniers-Bombardiers of France, the Royal Artillery of Spain, the Battalion d'Artillerie d'Orleans, and, for the last 100 years, the Washington Artillery (141st Field Artillery) have fired the salutes welcoming distinguished visitors to the Crescent City. To them and to their worthy successors this park is dedicated.

Decatur Street, opposite Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA, United States

Faulkner House. Here in 1925, William Faulkner, Nobel Laureate, wrote his first novel "Soldiers Pay." The building was erected in 1840 by the widow of Jean Baptiste LaBranche on a site formerly occupied by part of the yard and buildings of the French colonial prison.

624 Pirate's Alley, New Orleans, LA, United States

New Orleans. First sighted as Indian portage to Lake Pontchartrain and Gulf in 1699 by Bienville and Iberville. Founded by Bienville in 1718; named by him in honor of the Duke of Orleans, Regent of France. Called the Crescent City because of location in bend of the Mississippi. Erected by the Louisiana Tourist Development Commission 1968

Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Jackson Square. French colonial Place d'Armes, 1721-1768. Laid out by Adrien de Pauger, March 29, 1721 according to the original city plan of Le Blond de la Tour, Engineer-in-Chief of Louisiana. Spanish colonial Plaza de Armas, 1768-1803. Here took place the flag ceremonies symbolizing the transfer of Louisiana from Spain to France Nov. 30, 1803 and from France to the United States Dec. 20, 1803. After completion of the Pontalba buildings in 1851 by the Baroness Pontalba, and through her efforts, the square was redesigned and named Jackson Square. Cast iron fence designed by Louis H. Pilié, City Surveyor. Erected 1851 by Pelanne Bros. of New Orleans. Statue of Andrew Jackson by Clark Mills, sculptor, unveiled Feb. 9, 1856. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. Leonard V. Huber, President. Raymond A. Mix, Vice President. Harold J. Smith, Jr., Treasurer. Sidney L. Villeré, Secretary. Samuel Wilson, Jr., Historian. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. 1961. [There is a relief sculpture image of the "Plaza de Armas 1803" at the top of the plaque.]

Jackson Square, facing St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans, LA, United States

Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France. The first church on this site, designed by Adrien de Pauger, was erected 1724-1727 and was destroyed in the great fire of 1788. The second church - a gift of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, designed by Gilberto Guillemard - begun in 1789 and dedicated as a Cathedral on Christmas Eve 1794. This church served until it was enlarged and essentially rebuilt 1849-1851 from designs of J.N.B. de Pouilly, architect. Designated as the Metropolitan Church of the Archdiocese of New Orleans in 1850. On December 9, 1964, Pope Paul VI bestowed upon it the rank of Minor Basilica. Dedicated May 1968 in honor of the 250 anniversary of the founding of New Orleans, and in commemoration of service for 175 years of the Diocese est. April 25, 1793. Orleans Parish landmarks Commission. 1968

Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA, United States

Site: Quartier General de la Garde Municipale 1726. Site and walls of El Calabozo 1770. Donated to the Louisiana State Museum by W. Ratcliffe Irby 1922.

French Quarter, New Orleans, LA, United States

Chartier Concession. Pierre Chartier de Baulne, French Louisiana attorney general in 1719, held the earliest land grant at the former village of the Colapissas on Chapitoulas (Metairie) Road. His family first colonists to live nearby. Erected by Jefferson Parish Historical Commission.

Metairie Road at Bamboo Road, New Orleans, LA, United States

“In the shadow under the green visor of the cap, Ignatius J. Reilly’s supercilious blue and yellow eyes looked down upon the other people waiting under the clock at the D. H. Holmes Department Store, studying the crowd of people for signs of bad taste in dress." John Kennedy Toole A Confederacy Of Dunces 1981 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

819 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Subjects
Camp Parapet. In 1862 Confederate and Louisiana authorities laid out Camp Parapet as a part of the defense lines of New Orleans. The works were designed to protect the city against an attack from the north. After the Federals, coming up from the south, captured New Orleans, Camp Parapet became an important part of the Union defenses. It served also as a training camp for Northern soldiers.

Jefferson Highway at Causeway Boulevard, New Orleans, LA, United States

Salem United Church of Christ (Evangelical and Reformed) was founded as the first German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Jefferson City, March 8, 1863. The first worship services of Salem were held in temporary quarters. The congregation erected its first church building on the corner of Milan and Camp Streets, dedicated March 18, 1866. It was replaced by the present building, dedicated March 25, 1906. Diboll and Owen, architects. J.A. Petty, builder. The adjoining educational building was dedicated November 15, 1936. Sam Stone, Jr., architect. G.E. Reimann, builder. Worship services were conducted in the German language until October 8, 1895, at which time English language services were introduced. 125th Anniversary 1988

Corner of Milan and Camp streets, New Orleans, LA, United States

Latter Memorial Library has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. October 21, 1976.

5120 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Faubourg Bouligny. Site of the plantation of Louis Bouligny (1781-1862), soldier, planter, statesman. This Faubourg (suburb), laid out in 1834, was bounded by Upperline, General Taylor, Clara and the river. The Bouligny Foundation. 1984.

Napoleon Avenue at St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Subjects
Julia Row. Thirteen identical residences erected 1832-33 for the New Orleans Building Company. James H. Dakin, Architect. Alexander T. Wood, Supervising Architect. Daniel T. Twogood, Builder. Many prominent families lived here and the second house from St. Charles Avenue was the childhood home of Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886), Boston architect famous for the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The building at 604 Julia Street was purchased in 1976 and restored by the Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans. This plaque was given in memory of Stanton M. Frazar (1931-1987) by the Friends of The Cabildo, the Louisiana Landmarks Society, the Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans, the St. Charles Avenue Association, and Save Our Cemeteries. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. 1988.

604 Julia Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Allard Plantation. Plantation of Louis Allard was purchased by his grandfather, Don Santiago Lorreins in 1770's from estate of Francisco Hery, called Duplanty, builder of the first Cabildo Building in N.O. in 1769. Acquired from Allard in 1845 by J. McDonough -- given to N.O. in 1850. La Plantation Allard. La plantation de Louis Allard, achetée par son grand-père Don Santiago Lorreins vers 1770, avait appartenu à des biens de Francisco Héry, surnommé Duplanty, qui construisit en 1769 le premier Cabildo de la Nouvelle-Orléans. Vendue par Allard en 1845 à J. McDonough, elle fut offerte en 1850 à la Nouvelle-Orléans.

City Park Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

United States Customhouse has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America.

423 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Oliver Pollock lived here

400 block of Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Subjects
The City Park Carousel and its building, c. 1906, restored 1988, have each been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.

Carousel Building, Amusement Park in City Park, New Orleans, LA, United States

Site of the First U.S. District Court. In 1792 the Spanish colonial government built a boys' public school on this site. After the Louisiana Purchase it served as the First United States District Court of the Louisiana Territory. Here, in 1815, after the Battle of New Orleans, General Andrew Jackson was fined $1000 for contempt of court in a dispute following his refusal to lift martial law before confirmation of peace was received. The old building was demolished in 1888,when the present building was erected.

919 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Cucullu Row. Built in 1828 by James Lambert and Louis Lemoyne for Simon Cucullu, these six rowhouses survive as the oldest intact row in the Vieux Carré. Desporte Pharmacy operated here from 1877 to 1970. On this corner once stood the 1730 celestial observatory of architect-scientist Pierre Baron. It was replaced by the Conde Market in 1782. This was followed by a fish market in 1784, which was enlarged in 1785 and 1786. The great fire of 1788 destroyed the market complex.

838 Chartres St., New Orleans, LA, United States

Residence of Don Manuel Lanzos, Captain of the Spanish Army. Erected 1788 in the French colonial style, Robert Jones, an American, builder. Site of the birthplace of Renato Beluche (1781-1860), a lieutenant of Jean Lafitte's Baratarians, who participated in the Battle of New Orleans, later Admiral of the Venezuelan Navy. The house was referred to as "Madame John's Legacy" in Geo. W. Cable's story 'Tite Poulette' in 1879. An earlier house was erected on part of this site about 1725 by Jean Pascal., a sailor killed in the Natchez Massacre in 1729, and occupied by his widow until her death in 1777. The house was presented to the Louisiana State Museum by Mrs. Stella Hirsch Lemann on June 23,1947. Restored in 1974.

628 Dumaine Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

The Presbytère. Designed in 1791 by Gilberto Guillemard, Architect, as the rectory of the Church of St. Louis. Construction, begun through the generosity of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, was halted when he died in 1798. The building remained unfinished, only one story high, until it was completed by the wardens of St. Louis Cathedral in 1813, Burlie and Guillot, builders. Never used for its intended purpose as a rectory or presbytère, the building was rented to the city by the Cathedral wardens for use as a court house and sold by them to the city in 1853. The rear wings were erected in 1940 by Gobet and Larochette, builders, Benjamin Buisson, architect. The Mansard roof was added in 1847 by Gobet and Amiel, builders. Transferred to the Louisiana State Museum in 1911. Renovated by the State of Louisiana in 1962-63 for the museum. Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission, 1964.

751 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

Garden District. Famous for its nineteenth century homes and gardens. This area was originally part of Livaudais Plantation. Became part of City of Lafayette, 1833. Annexed by City of New Orleans, 1852. Designated a National Historic Landmark, 1974.

Prytania at Washington, New Orleans, LA, United States

Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, founded 1833, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Feb. 1, 1972.

1416-1498 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA, United States

Judge Fred J. Cassibry Square. Fred J. Cassibry (1918-1996), U.S. Navy WWII veteran, served on the New Orleans City Council, Orleans Civil District Court, U.S. District Court, E. D. La., and the Louisiana Economic Development and Gaming Corporation. Throughout his 40 years of public life, Judge Cassibry personified the definition of a dedicated public official. He never forgot he was a servant of the people. Square dedicated by 1999, La. Acts 708.

400 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA, United States

The Steamer On January 10, 1812 the "New Orleans" commanded Nicholas Roosevelt, arrived on this spot it was the first steamboat to successfully navigate the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Steamboats were a major factor in the growth of New Orleans as a major port.

700-768 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA, United States

On the occasion of his second pastoral visit to the United States of America His Holiness Pope John Paul II worshipped with clergy and religious in this historic Basilica September 12, 1987. [Cathedral of St. Louis, New Orleans, Louisiana]

Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA, United States

The Nathaniel C. Jr. & Frances Curtis residence has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Constructed in 1963, this modern residence was designed by architect Nathaniel C. "Buster" Curtis for himself, his wife Frances and their seven children. It remained in the family for fifty years. The Curtis residence was designated a city landmark by the New Orleans Historic District Landmarks Commission in 2010. It is the first modern house in the city of New Orleans, as well as the first building by the firm Curtis & Davis, to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 2014 United States Department of the Interior

6161 Marquette Place, New Orleans, LA, United States

The Nathaniel C. Jr. & Frances Curtis residence has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Constructed in 1963, this modern residence was designed by architect Nathaniel C. "Buster" Curtis for himself, his wife Frances and their seven children. It remained in the family for fifty years. The Curtis residence was designated a city landmark by the New Orleans Historic District Landmarks Commission in 2010. It is the first modern house in the city of New Orleans, as well as the first building by the firm Curtis & Davis, to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 2014 United States Department of the Interior

6161 Marquette Place, New Orleans, LA, United States

Heinemann Park / Pelican Stadium. Home of New Orleans' first professional sports team, baseball's New Orleans Pelicans. The "Pels" played home games here from the park's construction in 1915 through its demolition in 1957. Negro league teams such as the Black Pelicans and the Creoles used this site for their home games as well. The stadium also hosted many Manor League Baseball spring training camps and exhibition games, which featured such legends as Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Jackie Robinson.

corner of South Carrollton Avenue at Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Lafayette Square. Planned in 1788 as a public place for Faubourg Ste. Marie, the City's first suburb, this Square honors American Revolutionary War Hero, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette. He declined the invitation to become the first Governor when the United States purchased Louisiana. During his April 9-15, 1825, visit to the City of New Orleans, his popularity was evidenced by resounding cheers of "Vive Lafayette, Vive Lafayette!" Erected by France-Amérique de la Louisiane, 1985

Cnr of N Maestri St and St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States

Fort St. John (Spanish Fort). Established by Colonial French in the early 18th century. Rebuilt by the Spanish - 1779. American restoration - 1808. Built to protect New Orleans from attack by way of Lake Pontchartrain.

Beauregard Avenue, New Orleans, LA, United States