THE SHAKESPEARE THEATRE. Kendal's first purpose-built theatre, designed by local architect John Richardson, was opened at the top of this yard in 1829. The nationally famous actor Edmund Kean played here in 1832 but general poverty in the town and opposition from Quakers, Presbyterians and Temperance groups forced its closure after five years. It continued in use as a ballroom for many years and was converted to church in 1994.

flipflopnick on Flickr

by Kendal Civic Society

Colour: green

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
Simon Harriyott on Flickr
Simon Harriyott on Flickr
bardwellpeter on Flickr CC0
Simon Harriyott on Flickr
Mike Kirby on Geograph