St James's Church. A Georgian church on a medieval site. St. Mary's Nunnery church was built here in the 12th century. Henry VIII closed the nunnery in 1539, but the church continued as Clerkenwell parish church. Diarist Samuel Pepys came here to look at the local beauties. It was rebuilt in 1792 to the designs of James Carr, a local architect, and has a fine organ by George England Pike.