The Old Carpet Factory. This large grey stone building was erected in 1828 on the site of Thomas Whitty's original carpet factory, which was destroyed by fire two years earlier. Closed as a factory in 1835, it was used as the towns hospital before the new hospital was built in Chard Street. Before the First World War it was the headquarters of the Territorial Battalion.

See also...
Simply Jan on Flickr
Simply Jan on Flickr