Dean Hall & Mechanics Institute. Established on this site in 1891. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No 17 in the MIV series, acknowledges the vision and dedicated contribution of supporters of Dean and district who have ensured the continuity of Dean Hall and Mechanics Institute as a focal point for the community for successive generations. Dedicated in 2006 in the 115th Anniversary year to celebrate the refurbishment of the historic building.
This is an approximate position
Daylesford-Ballarat Road, Dean, Victoria
[geolocate this address]
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Inc. on 03 September 2006 #0017 of the MIV Historical Plaques Program series