Digby Mechanics' Institute. Established 1870. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 12 in the MIV series, was unveiled to commemorate restoration by the Digby community in 2005

49 Buckingham Street, Digby, Victoria
Google Streetview

by Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Inc. on 11 November 2005 #0012 of the MIV Historical Plaques Program series

Colour: blue

Wikimedia:

Flickr: