This building, originally known as Broadgates Chapel, was the first Methodist chapel to be built in Barnard Castle. Much of the labour in erecting it was undertaken by men and women of the congregation. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, preached at the opening service on Saturday, 13th April 1765. The house in the adjoining garden was built later as the minister's residence.
Old School Close, Barnard Castle
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Barnard Castle Town Council