Immanuel Lutheran Church. This congregation traces its origin to the emigration of Wends from the Saxony Region of Germany to nearby Lee, Robertson, and Fayette counties. They resettled in this area, then known as the Twin Mountain Community, in 1891. Led by the Rev. A. W. Kramer, the Wends began Lutheran worship in 1892 at the home of Christian Jacob, located approximately one mile southwest of this site. The congregation was officially organized under the direction of the Rev. John Paul Ridel in 1894. A church building, constructed in 1895 became the site of parochial school classes the following year. In 1899 the church properties and cemetery grounds were deeded to the congregation by A. E. Falke. A new church structure was completed at this site in 1914. A youth society, organized in 1915 and later affiliated with the International Walther League, was instrumental in the completion, in 1939, of the 60-foot native stone cross located near the church structure. The congregation's membership increased as military personnel from Fort Hood began to attend services soon after it was established as Camp Hood in 1942. Regional missionary work by this congregation was successful in spreading the Lutheran faith and was responsible for the establishment of four Lutheran churches in Central Texas by 1965. #2623
None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.