United States / Copperas Cove, TX

all or unphotographed
First Baptist Church Building, 1908. Designed by Melton W. Scott of Waco, this structure was built in 1908 for the historic First Baptist Church congregation during the pastorate of the Rev. A. B. Jenkins. The lofty one-story building of stone with brick accents features asymmetrical wooden towers and art glass windows. It was used primarily for worship services until 1965 when it became the location for Sunday School classes and other churches programs. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991 #30

300 W. Avenue B, Copperas Cove, TX, United States

Mt. Hiram Lodge No. 595, A.F. & A.M.. Mt. Hiram Lodge No. 595 was chartered on December 12, 1884. Lodge members shared their first facility, a two-story structure located near present-day downtown Copperas Cove, with a public school. In its early years the lodge participated in a local volunteer company of Minutemen and helped develop this area's economy. The lodge relocated in 1894 to Main Street and Ave. D, above the J. S. Clements & Bro. Mercantile Store. Growth in its membership led to the building of a new lodge facility at this site in 1970. This lodge continues to serve the local community. #3519

?, Copperas Cove, TX, United States

First Baptist Church of Copperas Cove. Organized in 1885 by the Reverend J. F. Baker and thirteen charter members, this congregation first met in a community schoolhouse. The Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway Company provided a plot of land for one dollar on which the members built their first sanctuary in 1890. The second sanctuary, built in 1908 to serve the growing congregation, is still in existence and used for Sunday School classes. The churches has produced several missionaries, ministers, and full-time Christian service professionals as it continues to provide important ministries to the community. #1688

300 W. Avnue B, Copperas Cove, TX, United States

Ogletree Stagestop and Post Office. After Marsden Ogletree (1819-1896) and his family migrated from Georgia, he recieved a land grant in 1878. Inscriptions on two stones in this house indicate the structure was erected the same year. It served as the family home, grain store, and stopping place for the Lampasas to Belton stagecoach. Since the mail arrived by stage, a post office was opened here in 1879 with Ogletree as postmaster. Legend says that the settlement received the name "Coperas Cove" from a copperas-tasting spring in the cove of a nearby mountain. Samuel Gilmore served as the second Postmaster. In 1881 Gilmore's father-in-law Jesse M. Clements (1822-1900) and his wife Charley deeded land for the right-of-way to the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad. The following year the railroad laid out the new townsite of Copperas Cove. Soon the center of the community, including the post office, moved over to the railroad. Later the town corrected the spelling of its name to "Copperas Cove." In 1891 Clements bought this house and used it as the headquarters for his large ranching operations. The old stone stagestop remains a visible link with the community's pioneer heritage. #3681

?, Copperas Cove, TX, United States

Allin House. #14810

401 N Main Street, Copperas Cove, TX, United States

Immanuel Lutheran Church. This congregation traces its origin to the emigration of Wends from the Saxony Region of Germany to nearby Lee, Robertson, and Fayette counties. They resettled in this area, then known as the Twin Mountain Community, in 1891. Led by the Rev. A. W. Kramer, the Wends began Lutheran worship in 1892 at the home of Christian Jacob, located approximately one mile southwest of this site. The congregation was officially organized under the direction of the Rev. John Paul Ridel in 1894. A church building, constructed in 1895 became the site of parochial school classes the following year. In 1899 the church properties and cemetery grounds were deeded to the congregation by A. E. Falke. A new church structure was completed at this site in 1914. A youth society, organized in 1915 and later affiliated with the International Walther League, was instrumental in the completion, in 1939, of the 60-foot native stone cross located near the church structure. The congregation's membership increased as military personnel from Fort Hood began to attend services soon after it was established as Camp Hood in 1942. Regional missionary work by this congregation was successful in spreading the Lutheran faith and was responsible for the establishment of four Lutheran churches in Central Texas by 1965. #2623

?, Copperas Cove, TX, United States