Emma Cons 1837-1912 philanthropist and founder of the Old Vic lived and worked here

The London County Council erected a plaque commemorating Emma Cons and Lilian Baylis at Surrey Lodge, Morton Place, Lambeth in 1952 but this building was demolished in 1971. Cons was commemorated by the GLC in 1978 with a new plaque at the only surviving London address associated to her. Lilian Baylis had been commemorated with a GLC plaque in her own right in 1974.