The Lower Lighthouse Opened in December 1840 and constructed of white sandstone. Designed by Decimus Burton in accordance with the Navigation Plan of Captain Henry Mangles Denham. From Wyre Light, at the entrance to the approach channel, the two shore lighthouses can be lined up to provide safe passage into the port. The pebble compass, set in the adjacent pavement, is a recent recreation of the original Victorian feature.

Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
See also...