Sir Francis Galton 1822 - 1911 explorer statistician founder of eugenics lived here for fifty years

The rectangular marble plaque was erected by admirers in about 1931. The association of eugenics - Galton's own term for the scientific improvement of the human race - with the forced sterilisation programs of the Nazis was a subsequent development. The house is now conjoined with No.41 and was refurbished and re-sited by the London County Council in 1959, and incorporated into the official London scheme.