The site of this building forms part of what was once the precinct of the Priory of St John the Baptist, Holywell. Within a few yards stood from 1577 to 1598 the first London building specially devoted to the performance of plays and known as 'The Theatre

The design of this bronze plaque was not used again. The arms granted to the London County Council in 1914 are depicted in the top left corner. The plaque was unveiled by the actress Lilian Braithwaite.

Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Spudgun67 on Flickr
See also...
Nick Harrison on Flickr