Grant's Lick. Ca. 1793, salt water found here by Samuel Bryan, a nephew of Daniel Boone. John Grant, another Boone nephew, and Charles Morgan helped him drill well, which supplied salt to interior of Ky. This territory was owned by John Grant and named for him. John Breckinridge, who also claimed land in area, formed partnership with him. In 1804, James Taylor became third partner. (Reverse) Grant's Lick - First Court of Quarter Sessions met in John Grant's home, in nearby Wilmington, June 1795. James Taylor was appointed first clerk of Campbell County; Samuel Bryan was among those appointed Justices of the Peace. Grant was authorized to keep a ferry and to build a mill. All three men took part in marking out and planning local roads. Over.

Photo of Black plaque № 46121
glennhistorygeek on Flickr All Rights Reserved
Photo of Black plaque № 46121
glennhistorygeek on Flickr All Rights Reserved

Grant's Lick, at Grant's Lick Funeral Home, Old US 27,
Google Streetview

by Kentucky Highways Department and Kentucky Historical Society #1642 of the Kentucky Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.