David Garrick Actor. Lived Here. B-1716. D-1779.
This plaque was originally sited at No.5 Adelphi Terrace, one of a block of 24 unified neoclassical terrace houses built between 1768 and 1772 by the Adam brothers, by the Society of Arts (latterly the Royal Society of Arts). Many of these were demolished in the early 1930s and replaced with the New Adelphi , a monumental Art Deco building, with only No.11 and the purpose built Royal Society of Arts headquarters (expanded to incorporate two of the former houses) surviving from the old development. The plaque was assumed to have been lost or destroyed at this time, until 2015 when remarkably it resurfaced to be sold at auction . Acquired by the Garrick Club, it has been put on display in the reception area of the club at 15 Garrick Street.
The Garrick Club, 15 Garrick Street, Covent Garden, London
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Royal Society Of Arts in 1876