THE BANK OF UPPER CANADA BUILDING L'EDIFICE DE LA BANQUE DU HAUT - CANADA Chartered in 1821, the Bank of Upper Canada, was until its demise in 1866, one of British North America's leading banks. It played a significant role in the development of Upper Canada -- supplying currency, protecting savings and making loans -- and aided Toronto's rise as the commercial centre of the colony. This building, opened in 1827, was the second home of the bank. Its design reflects the image of conservative opulence favoured by financial institutions of the time. The portico, designed by John G. Howard, a leading architect of the period, was added about 1844. Fondée en 1821, la Banque du Haut-Canada compta jusqu'à sa fermeture en 1866 parmi les banques les plus prospères de l'Amérique du Nord britannique. Elle contribua de façon notable au développement du HautCanada (émission de monnaie, protection de l'épargne, prêts et contribua à faire de Toronto le centre commercial de la colonie. Cet édifice, ouvert au public en 1827. est le deuxième qu’occupa la Banque. Le style du bâtiment témoigne du luxe traditionnel des établissements financiers d'alors. Le portique, ajouté à l'édifice vers 1844, fut conçu par John G. Howard, architecte renommé de l'époque.

see Toronto Plaques: Bank of Upper Canada Building

Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Alan Brown on Flickr

north-east corner of Adelaide Street East and George Street, Toronto, ON
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap

by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada

Colour: red

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.