John Ferrar 1743 - 1804 historian, printer and bookseller. Founder of the Limerick Chronicle. Had a shop here.
Plaque № 8859
|Map accuracy||This is an approximate position|
|Address||Bridge Street, Englishtown
[geolocate this address]
John Ferrar (1743-1804)
Ironically, for an assiduous chronicler of his own town, there isn't much to be found about Ferrar himself online. There is even some doubt as to the exact years of his birth and death.
However, his publications have been better chronicled, as well as some print works about his life.
The earliest editions of The Limerick Chronicle from 1768 - 1769 have been rediscovered and collected in the Glucksman Library in the University of Limerick
The newspaper's history is summarised here:
It is now a weekly paper that shares a website with the daily Limerick Leader:
Data about this plaque as JSON