Thomas De Quincy 1785-1859 wrote 'Confessions of an English Opium Eater' in this house

De Quincey was first honoured with a blue plaque by the London County Council which, having been refused permission to install one at No.36 Tavistock Street (formerly No.4 York Street), did so at No.61 (formerly No.58) Greek Street, Soho. This building, which was De Quincey's home in 1803 was demolished around 1937. The GLC plaque, installed at the LCC's preferred address, was unveiled by the actor Donald Sinden in 1981, shortly after the renovation of the nearby Covent Garden market. Somewhat unfortunately, the name on the plaque is misspelt.

Nick Harrison on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Spudgun67 on Flickr
Gwynhafyr on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
See also...
gnomonic on Flickr
Thomas de Quincey
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons