King William III of England

Prince of Orange (1650-1702), King of Scots (1689-1702), and King of England (1689-1702)

Died aged 51

William III (William Henry; Dutch: Willem Hendrik; 4 November 1650 – 8 March 1702), also widely known as William of Orange, was the sovereign Prince of Orange from birth, Stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht, Guelders, and Overijssel in the Dutch Republic from the 1670s, and King of England, Ireland, and Scotland from 1689 until his death in 1702. As King of Scotland, he is known as William II. He is sometimes informally known as "King Billy" in Ireland and Scotland. His victory at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 is commemorated by Unionists, who display orange colours in his honour. He ruled Britain alongside his wife and cousin Queen Mary II, and popular histories usually refer to their reign as that of "William and Mary". William was the only child of William II, Prince of Orange, and Mary, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange, the daughter of Charles I of England, Scotland, and Ireland. His father died a week before his birth, making William III the Prince of Orange from birth. In 1677, he married Mary, the eldest daughter of his maternal uncle James, Duke of York, the younger brother of Charles II of England, Scotland, and Ireland. The Protestant William participated in several wars against the powerful Catholic French ruler Louis XIV in coalition with both Protestant and Catholic powers in Europe. Many Protestants heralded William as a champion of their faith. In 1685, his Catholic uncle and father-in-law, James, became king of England, Scotland, and Ireland. James's reign was unpopular with the Protestant majority in Britain, who feared a revival of Catholicism. Supported by a group of influential British political and religious leaders, William invaded England in what became known as the Glorious Revolution. In 1688, he landed at the south-western English port of Brixham. Shortly afterwards, James was deposed. William's reputation as a staunch Protestant enabled him and his wife to take power. During the early years of his reign, William was occupied abroad with the Nine Years' War (1688–1697), leaving Mary to govern Britain alone. She died in 1694. In 1696 the Jacobites, a faction loyal to the deposed James, plotted unsuccessfully to assassinate William and restore James to the throne. William's lack of children and the death in 1700 of his nephew Prince William, Duke of Gloucester, the son of his sister-in-law Anne, threatened the Protestant succession. The danger was averted by placing distant relatives, the Protestant Hanoverians, in line to the throne with the Act of Settlement 1701. Upon his death in 1702, the king was succeeded in Britain by Anne and as titular Prince of Orange by his cousin John William Friso, beginning the Second Stadtholderless period.

Wikidata Wikipedia

Family tree

Commemorated on 8 plaques

Site of West Gate. Successfully defended against the rebel attacks in 1549, William Prince of Orange with his army entered the city in 1688 through this gate which was removed in 1815.

West Street, Exeter, United Kingdom where they with his army entered the city through this gate (1688)

To commemorate the landing of King William III at this pier on 14th. June 1690

Harbour, Carrickfergus, United Kingdom where they landed (1690)

6 feet south east of this slab the Regium Donum was signed by King William III of glorious memory to the Presbyterian Body which they were deprived of by ?? 1869

Hillsborough fort, Co Down, Hillsborough, United Kingdom where they visited

WR III Rotten Row The King's Old Road completed 1690. This ride originally formed part of King William III's carriage drive from Whitehall to Kensington Palace. Its construction was supervised by the surveyor of their Majesties roads Captain Michael Studholme and it was the first lamp-lit road in the Kingdom. Designated as a public bridleway in the 1730's, Rotten Row is one of the most famous urban riding grounds in the world. ER II 1990

Hyde Park, London, United Kingdom where they visited

The Royal Hotel. Late 18th Century Grade II listed building. Until at least 1817, it was known as The White Hart Inn. According to tradition, Prince William of Orange once stayed here, after which it became known as The Royal Hotel.

The Royal pub, High Street, Runcorn, United Kingdom where they stayed

This mansion, built about 1690, was the residence of Sir Isaac Rebow, B. 1655; D, Sept. 19, 1726. M.P. for Colchester 1692-1722 High Steward of the Borough; Recorder, 1723-1726; Mayor, 1716-7. Knighted, March 27, 1693, by King William III, who thrice visited this house viz., on March 27, 1693; Oct. 29, 1693; Oct. 19, 1700.

No. 62 Head Street, Colchester, United Kingdom where they visited (1693), visited (1693), and visited (1700)

William III stayed here with Thomas Medlycott, recorder of Abingdon, on December 11th 1688 when on his way from Torbay to London.

39 E St Helen St, Abingdon, United Kingdom where they was

WILLIAM AND MARY On the 7th December 1688 William of Orange arrived at The Bear on his march from Torbay to London meeting here on the morning of the 8th James II's Commissioners Lords Halifax Godolphin and Nottingham HUNGERFORD CELEBRATION 1688-1988

41 Charnham St, Hungerford, United Kingdom where they stayed (1688)