St. Mary's Church of Ireland erected in 1807 this parish church was built on the grounds of an ancient monastery for Carmelite friars. The town wall surrounded the monastery and were built approximately 1234 AD. The wall measured twenty-two feet high, were six feet wide at the base, narrowing to two feet at the top. It was from this south easterly aspect that Oliver Cromwell made a breach in the town wall which allowed his troops to enter the town on September 11th 1649. The town walls were 1 1/2 miles in circumference, enclosing twice the area of the walled city of Dublin.