Burns Station Cemetery. Reminder of De Witt County's earliest settlement, Irish Creek, begun in 1826 when Arthur Burns (1780-1856) migrated from Missouri and Iowa to Texas. He joined colony of Green DeWitt and built a 2-story log home near here. Used as a refuge during Indian raids, the house was also visited by General Sam Houston, 1836. On Dec. 19, 1837, President Houston appointed Burns to board of land commissioners, Victoria County (which then encompassed this portion of DeWitt County). Area's first grist mill (operated 1856-69 by Moses Rankin) was established by Burns. Near it clustered the Sherman and Thomas General Store, Charlie White's Blacksmith Shop, and Warn Hardware. The Irish Creek settlement became known as Burns Station, as it was a stage stop on the Victoria - Gonzales Road. Cemetery site, donated 1853 by Ardelia Burns Cook, daughter of Arthur Burns, adjoined the Irish Creek Methodist Church. In oldest marked grave lies Joseph Allen (1812-53), born in Ireland. Here also is buried Sarah, Arthur Burns' widow. (Burns is buried in Iowa). In 1870s, Burns Station lost business to Thomaston and Cuero, but was a stop on the Gulf, West Texas and Pacific Railroad until the name was changed in 1902 to "Verhelle," honoring a railroad official. Incise on back: Cemetery restored 1969 by work of relatives and the Southwest Texas Methodist conference #576

Darryl Pearson on Wikimedia Commons
See also...
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Pi3.124 on Wikimedia Commons
Sam Houston's Camp. #4504
Billy Hathorn on Wikimedia Commons
Jpo tx113 on Wikimedia Commons
Rheba on Flickr
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
glennaa on Flickr All Rights Reserved
JasonGoneBodmin on Flickr All Rights Reserved
Carbs1992 on Wikimedia Commons
Sam Houston's First Home in Texas. #15904
Brian Kennedy on Wikimedia Commons