Mabank. Originally part of the George T. Walters Survey, this acreage in the 1840s and '50s belonged to many absentee landowners including Sam Houston. In 1887 John R. Jones, a merchant from nearby Goshen, and his wife Joella platted and developed a town called "Lawn City" (1 mi. NE). Soon a post office was established and the name changed to "Lawndale". When the Texas & New Orleans Railroad bypassed Lawndale in 1900 on its route from Kemp to Athens, it ran through the northern part of the Mason-Eubank Ranch. The owners, Thomas H. Eubank (1859-1952) and rancher-banker G. W. ("Dodge") Mason (1858-1917), set aside one square mile of their holdings for a town. The name "Mabank" was formed by combining the names of the two landowners. Lawndale families and merchants began moving to Mabank. The town grew rapidly, boasting a park, depot, and stock loading pens. There was a gin, post office, cafe, hotel, and several mercantile businesses. Later, church lots were set aside for Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian congregations. The Baptist church erected a building for a community house and school. The economy of the area depended first on farming and later on ranching. The 1966 development of Cedar Creek Lake strengthened the community. #8533

Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Rheba on Flickr
See also...
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Darryl Pearson on Wikimedia Commons
Pi3.124 on Wikimedia Commons
Sam Houston's Camp. #4504
Billy Hathorn on Wikimedia Commons
Jpo tx113 on Wikimedia Commons
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
glennaa on Flickr All Rights Reserved
JasonGoneBodmin on Flickr All Rights Reserved
Carbs1992 on Wikimedia Commons
Sam Houston's First Home in Texas. #15904
Brian Kennedy on Wikimedia Commons