Maverick County. Created Feb. 2, 1856, from Kinney county. Organized July 13, 1871. Named for Texas Revolution veteran, signer of declaration of Independence, Texas Legislator Samuel A. Maverick (1803-1870). The county centers in an area of dairies, farming, ranching. Hard-travelled El Camino Real (path into Texas History for Louis St. Denis, Spanish Missionaries, Moses Austin and countless troops and settlers) crossed the Rio Grande near Eagle Pass, the county seat. Site of Spanish Mission ruins, military posts. Fort Duncan, now a military park, housed both U.S. and confederate troops. (1965) #3260