Charles Dickens 1812-1870 novelist lived here
This was the second plaque erected by the London County Council, and is the oldest to survive. 48 Doughty Street, which remarkably had been under threat of demolition at the time the plaque was installed, became the Charles Dickens Museum in 1925. Visitors to the museum can see another LCC plaque there, a stone tablet which was, in 1911, erected at 13 Johnson Street (now Cranleigh Street), Dickens' boyhood home. In this instance the memorial was not enough to save that house for posterity and it was demolished to make way for flats in 1932, the tablet being presented to the museum by the LCC shortly thereafter.