Charles Dickens 1812 - 1870 novelist lived here in boyhood
The original location of this rectangular stone tablet was 29 (later renumbered 13) Johnson Street, Somers Town in what is now the London Borough of Camden. This building was demolished in 1932 and flats now cover the site. The tablet was presented by the LCC to the Charles Dickens museum which had opened at 48 Doughty Street in 1925. It is displayed in the back garden of the house. An earlier LCC plaque to Dickens, erected in 1903, can be seen on the front of the museum building. Johnson Street was renamed Cranleigh Street between 1936 and 1939. The site of the Dickens' family residence was marked by the Brook & Cranleigh House Residents Association with a blue plaque in 2011.