This tunnel was built for the original horse drawn line It is a Grade Two Star listed structure The Tunnel, 130yds long, 14 feet high and ten feet wide, was designed by Frederick Swanwick, assistant to the engineer, George Stephenson and was only 22 years old. He was censured by the Directors for "wasting" money on this castellated north end. The line opened over its full length 26th May 1836. The company bought three 1st class coaches, Premier, Transit and Lady Hilda, from Beeston and Melling of Manchester. Engineer George Stephenson Assistant Frederick Swanwick