Minyip Mechanics' Institute
place and Mechanics' Institute
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0007
Minyip Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site in 1891. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 7 in the MIV series, was unveiled on the 12th June 2004 to commemorate the centenary of the main hall.
Main Street, Minyip, Victoria, Australia where it sited (1891)