Minyip Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site in 1891. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 7 in the MIV series, was unveiled on the 12th June 2004 to commemorate the centenary of the main hall.
This is an approximate position
Main Street, Minyip, Victoria
[geolocate this address]
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Inc. on 12 June 2004 #0007 of the MIV Historical Plaques Program series