1st Duke of Chandos (from 1719)
Died aged c. 71
James Brydges, 1st Duke of Chandos, PC DL FRS (6 January 1673 in Dewsall, Herefordshire – 9 August 1744 in Cannons) was the first of fourteen children of Sir James Brydges, 3rd Baronet of Wilton Castle, Sheriff of Herefordshire, 8th Baron Chandos; and Elizabeth Barnard. Three days after his father's death on 16 October 1714, when he became 9th Baron Chandos, he was created 1st Viscount Wilton and 1st Earl of Carnarvon; the Marquessate of Carnarvon and the Dukedom of Chandos were created for him in 1719. He was a member of parliament for Hereford from 1698 to 1714.DbPedia
Commemorated on 2 plaques
St Lawrence Whitchurch rebuilt 1715 with baroque interior by James Brydges, later Duke of Chandos, who lived in nearby 'Cannons' and employed G. F. Handel as composer-in-residence
St Lawrence’s Church, Whitchurch Lane, Canons Park, London, United Kingdom where they was
'Canons' gate pillars Entrance gate piers to 'Canons' from Old Turnpike Road Built in 1712 for James Brydges 1673-1744, 1st Duke of Chandos. House demolished 1740 and existing buildings constructed from salvaged materials. Piers refurbished 1998.
Canons Drive, Edgware, London, United Kingdom where they lived