William Thomas
(1799-1860)

Died aged c. 61

William Thomas (c. 1799 – 26 December 1860) was an Anglo-Canadian architect. His son William Tutin Thomas (1829–1892) was also an architect, working mostly in Montreal, Quebec.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 2 plaques

William Thomas 1799 - 1860 One of Canada's most prominent architects. Thomas was born in Suffolk and apprenticed as a carpenter before establishing architectural practice here in Royal Leamington Spa. During the 1830s he designed a series of attractive residences including this grand neo-classical crescent, Lansdowne Circus, Comyn Lodge, Aberdeen House and the Masonic Rooms. In 1843, frustrated by a depression in the building industry, Thomas emigrated to Toronto, Canada. He soon gained widespread recognition as the architect of many outstanding public and ecclesiastical buildings as well as numerous commerical and residential structures. Unrivalled in his mastery of detail, Thomas became the leading exponent in the country of the Decorated Gothic Revival style and designed some of the finest buildings erected in Ontario during the Nineteenth Century.

19-57 Lansdowne Crescent, Leamington Spa, United Kingdom where they designed

St. Lawrence Hall 1850 St. Lawrence Hall, one of the oldest public buildings in Toronto, was constructed following the Great Fire of 1849 that destroyed a large part of the city's core. Architect William Thomas designed the building in the Renaissance Revival style with Corinthian columns and a domed cupola. The entrance originally led to a shopping arcade connected to the St. Lawrence Market. The building had shops on the main floor and, on the upper floors, offices and a grand meeting hall used for social events and by prominent speakers, performers, and musicians. Abolitionist Frederick Douglass, Swedish soprano Jenny Lind, and showman P. T. Barnum all appeared in the hall, as did William Lyon Mackenzie, Toronto's first mayor and Upper Canada Rebellion leader. In the 20th century, St. Lawrence Hall lost prominence and fell into disrepair. By 1965, it was partially derelict and threatened with demolition. A campaign led by architect Eric Arthur resulted in the restoration of the building and its recognition as a National Historic Site in 1967.

157 King St East, Toronto, ON, Canada where they was