United States / Seymour, TX

all or unphotographed
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Early Community Building. Built 1877 by Charles Holman, builder-carpenter from Sweden. Stone was quarried south of town. Over the years, structure housed a school, churches, a newspaper office and a community center. It was purchased by J. E. McClelen in 1949 and restored as a private home. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969. #1

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Baylor County. Created February 1, 1858; Organized April 23, 1879; named in honor of Dr. Henry W. Baylor 1818-1854; Indian fighter and Ranger captain; served in the Mexican War. Seymour, the County Seat. #340

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Christian Church of Seymour. Organized March 1880 with 12 members: Mr. and Mrs. N. M. Bandy, Mr. Banteau, Miss May Boone, Judge and Mrs. R. J. Browning, Mr. and Mrs. Buck McEwen, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Ransom, Mr. and Mrs. Windy Turner. Early services were held in Baylor County Courthouse. Later, rock building nearby was used. Cooperating with the Masonic Lodge, church body erected a 2-story building in 1884. Present Gothic revival church of local stone was built during 1906-1907. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970. #1717

401 N. East St., Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Round Timber Baptist Church. The Round Timber community was named by an unknown early settler for a nearby round clump of oaks located near the Salt Fork of the Brazos River. The community became Baylor County's first permanent Anglo settlement when the Stevens, Mills and Hamby families arrived in 1874. By 1879, Round Timber was the home of a store, blacksmith shop and log school, and Alex M. Burnham was appointed as the first postmaster. A church, cotton gin and doctor's office were later added. The community was moved four miles northwest in the mid-1890s. By 1884, non-denominational Sunday services were held in Round Timber. The first written mention of a Baptist congregation was made in church minutes in September 1890. In 1898, the congregation changed its name from Post Oak to Round Timber Church and was later organized as a Missionary Baptist Church. On June 21, 1925, the church was officailly named Round Timber Baptist Church, a name that was retained until the church's closure in the early 1960s. Land was purchased in 1897 by trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a building project that included members of the community from all denominations produced a worhsip facility later that year. Although it is not known when the Methodists stopped holding services, the building was sold to the trusees of the Round Timber Baptist Church in 1934. Church records show consistent activity in support of missions, both foreign and local, as well as support of the Buckner Orphans Home. A community reunion has been held regularly since the 1950s for former citizens and descendants of the community and is now held annually at the Round Timber Cemetery. (2009) #15741

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Round Timber Community. Named for round clumps of oaks. Pioneered by C. C. (Lum) Mills, 1863, but soon abandoned to Indians, site became the first permanent settlement in Baylor County when reopened in 1874 by T. K. Hamby, C. C. and W. B. Mills, John W. Stevens and Tom Whitworth. Post Office opened in 1879 with A. C. Burnham as postmaster. In school built in 1879, first teacher was Eliza Mitchell. Town had stores, barber and blacksmith shops, 1880s. The church was built by Methodists, 1879, sold to Baptists, 1933. The burial ground, dating from 1870, was deeded 1962 by J. Hop Parker to the cemetery association. Incise on back: Marker sponsored by Harry and Helen Portwood. 1972. #4361

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Westover. Westover Platted in 1910 on the gulf, Texas and Western Railroad, Westover developed into a small market center providing goods and services for area farmers and ranchers. J. W. Stevens offered part of his ranchland for the townsite, which was given the maiden name of his mother-in-law. James H.B. Kyle served as first postmaster when the post office was established in 1910. Businesses, including a bank, barbershops, cotton gins and dry goods stores, as well as churches, a school and a cemetery were established to serve area residents. After the commercial area suffered a fire in 1921 and the rail line was abandoned in 1942, many settlers and businesses moved to Seymour. (2002) #12745

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Westover School. Westover School One-half mile east of this site is the location of the former Westover School, which served students in this part of Baylor County from 1910 until 1950. School classes first met in the Church of Christ building in Westover until trustees constructed a frame schoolhouse in 1911. Six years later, that building was replaced by a two-story brick building, which held all eleven grades and included seven classrooms, a library and an auditorium. Enrollment reached 400 students by the 1930s, but with abandonment of the rail line in 1942 and the general movement of people from rural areas after World War II, the student population declined, and Westover School closed in 1950. (2002) #12746

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Near Route of The Western Trail. Principal cattle trail from Texas to Kansas and beyond from 1876 to 1887; superseded the Chisholm Trial after Dodge City replaced Abilene as the main intermediate northern beef market. As its name implies, the Western Trail ran west of the Chisholm Trail, by about 100 miles. Most of its feeder trails started in South Texas, although some made connections at San Antonio and Fort Griffin. Here in Baylor County the trail crossed Brazos River, passing half a mile east of Seymour, a major supply center. The herds bedded near Seymour Creek, at the site of the present Fairgrounds. The Millett Ranch (established 1874) served as a watering spot, and the Millett Brothers--Eugene, Alzono, and Hiram-- were among the first users of the trail. From Seymour the route continued north, leaving Texas at Doan's Store on the Red River. It then ran through Oklahoma to Dodge City, with lesser extensions proceeding to Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana. During its life, the Western Trail moved hundreds of thousands of cattle north to stock ranges, Indian reservations, and markets. But after the fencing of the open range and building of the Texas & Pacific Railroad, it ceased to be used by the cattle industry. (1972) #5766

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
William Lewis Ellis. (January 25, 1861 - August 6, 1916) Sheriff of Baylor County 1912-1916. A champion of the law, he was feared by the many rustlers and bandits in the area. He gave his life in the line of duty. First wife was Barnetta (Ashton); second, Sarah E. (Scott). He was Presbyterian. Recorded--1969. #5837

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Edward D. and Mary S. Miller. Edward D. Miller (1829-1880) Mary S. Miller (1838-1890) One of four couples who were cofounders of town of Seymour; he was born in Tennessee, she in Arkansas. Wealthy plantation owners, they came to this area in 1878 after economic hardships of Civil War and Reconstruction. From 160 acres of land here, they donated streets in "Miller Addition" and part of Courthouse Square. Both were active in real estate promotion. E. D. Miller was also Justice of the Peace. Recorded, 1971. #1396

?, Seymour, TX, United States