THE PLAYING FIELD. In 1900 Maurice Bromley-Wilson of Dallam Tower 'made over the Strands Meadow to the village for use as a playing field at a nominal rent'. To mark the Coronation of King George VI in 1937 Sir Maurice extended the lease for a nominal rent of £10 'stipulating only that the management should be in the hands of persons holding permanent office in the Parish'. In 1983 Brigadier Tryon-Wilson reduced the Parish Council's annual rent to £5. Traditionally the building to the west was the Customs House for the Port of Milnthorpe.