1890 Cornerstone Ceremony. The building of the Colorado County Courthouse began with a public celebration July 7, 1890. About 3,000 people attended a barbecue in a grove north of town. They later marched to the Courthouse Square in a procession led by a local marching band. Members of Caledonia Lodge No. 68, A. F. & A. M. laid the cornerstone with Masonic ceremonies. Following the ceremony the crowd gathered together for a return procession to the grove. Later that evening a grand ball was held at the Stafford Opera House. The new Courthouse was completed in February 1891. (1990) #26

by Texas Historical Commission #26 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.