First Baptist Church of Temple. Originally known as Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, this congregation was organized on November 21, 1874, in the small Bell County town of Birdsdale (about one mile west of present Temple). The Rev. Anderson Clark (1829-1925) became the church's first pastor, leading a charter membership of twenty people. A small sanctuary was built on land donated by A.J. Flakes, but was destroyed by a tornado two years after its construction. Following the creation of the city of Temple in 1881, the members of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church voted to move to the new town and rename their congregation First Baptist Church of Temple. A frame church was built on the corner of North Main Street and Barton Avenue in 1882. It was replaced with a brick and stone structure in 1895. After the 1895 building was destroyed in a 1938 fire, the congregation relocated to this site and built a new sanctuary that same year. Additional buildings have been added over the years to serve the growing needs of the congregation. Instrumental in local missionary activities, this church has served the community for over 100 years. (1988) #1680

by Texas Historical Commission #01680 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.