La Vernia United Methodist Church. Earliest services of this church were held near here, at Bethesda, in 1853 by The Rev. J. S. McGee, a circuit rider. In 1876, La Vernia Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized with The Rev. John E. Vernor as pastor. By tradition the Masonic Hall housed services until 1881. Then trustees bought this site and erected a church building, which was destroyed by a storm five years later. Present church was built in 1887. The 85-year-old Post Oak Methodist Church (9 mi. NE) was merged with La Vernia in 1970. This church controls Post Oak Cemetery. (1976) #3005

by Texas Historical Commission #3005 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.